Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pilates as Paradise

I thought about calling this post, Pilates in Paradise. Hey....I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but as I thought more and more about it, I began to realize that although the surroundings here in Barra are beautiful and inspiring, it is really the Pilates itself that is paradise - and it always has been. Paradise as an idyllic state or place is not always as difficult to reach as we may think. And we all have various places and states of mind or being that we would consider to be paradise. It got me thinking - Is it always necessary to be on a vacation or to be doing something exciting or exotic to experience paradise?

Scissors


A sense of release. A state of openness. A feeling of freedom. The confidence of strength. The warmth of being stretched. The redemption of relaxation. The invigoration of deep breath. The joy of feeling good. For me, these all describe paradise, and whenever I do Pilates I experience each one. Whether I do Pilates under the palm trees here in Barra, at my Pilates studio, LiveLife Pilates in California or on a mat in my living room - I refocus in the calm and balance of the exercises each and every time. And isn't calm, balance and the ability to refocus one of the main reasons we often seek paradise?

Shoulder Bridge

Roll Over


Pilates is Barra is simple: Wait until the late afternoon when it is the perfect combination of warm and cool, go to my "Pilates spot", place a towel on the grass and then enjoy the breeze and the view of the palm trees and the lagoon while performing the exercises. If I can sneak off to do my Pilates while Turner is taking his afternoon nap, then I relish in the renewing alone time. If Turner is awake, I bring him with me (and sometimes Jason too). When Turner is in tow, I either do the exercises with him, which creates a fun bonding experience, or I keep an eye on him as he lies on a towel next to me kicking, cooing and staring at the palm trees above. The time spent doing Pilates here in Barra either with or without Turner is always a very happy, refreshing part of my day. It's a paradise within a paradise.

 Open Leg Rocker


During my pregnancy was I fortunate to be able to do Pilates up until the day I went into labor. Of course, the exercises didn't look like they do in these photos, they were all modified for pregnancy. And now I am 13 1/2 weeks post-partum, and in the last couple of weeks I have just begun to feel that I am regaining my strength. My Pilates practice here in Barra has made leaps and bounds in regards to strength, endurance and overall capability. It has been a combination of choosing exercises that are safe and progressive. In some of these photos, it was the first time I had been able to do the exercise in a long time - it felt great!!!

Rolling Like a Ball


 Hamstring Pull 1


Pilates with Turner is always fun, and we both benefit from the exercises. Turner is at the stage in his development where he is learning to sit up, master his head control, push himself up on his belly, use his hands and roll over. When I do Pilates with Turner, I can hold him and move him during the exercises in such a way that encourages his development. During some of the exercises he has to extend his back and legs while holding his head up, or sit up while on the ground or in my arms. During other exercises, he gets to relax a bit while lying on his back or leaning against me. For me, moving and supporting a 16 pound baby during the exercises is no easy task and adds a surprising challenge.

Of course, the best part of doing Pilates with Turner his watching him smile and listening to him giggle as we do the exercises. There's nothing better, and the soft sounds of the palm trees, the birds and the water provide the perfect background music for our Pilates time together. 


Pelvic Curl

 
 Hundred Prep


 Turner doing his back extension


 Roll Back


Spine Twist


 A different version of Spine Twist


And at the end, we get to cuddle and stare up at the palm trees together - the perfect paradise. 



4 comments:

  1. OMG, I really loved this so much. Its very inspiring. Leah, you are a one of a kind Pilates Practioner and mother. You are looking so good! And Turner is adorable!!!

    I am glad you are enjoying your time in Mexico!

    -Heidi F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photos! Echoing Heidi's thoughts - this is incredibly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely pictures, I have a 22 week old myself (they're so much fun)...I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete