Sunday, March 6, 2011

The mama workout: Exploring my options in Barra

Moving my body daily is a must! Having Turner in my life has sparked my workout creativity and I enjoy exploring my options. Up until my fourth of month of pregnancy I was running a lot. I stopped at 4 months simply because running did not feel right anymore. I switched over to fast-paced walking, hiking and fun interval cardio routines (lunges, step ups etc). I have done a bit of running post pregnancy at home (and I hope to do some more), but I really like the interval routines. And now that I am in Mexico I have finally settled in on a great cardio routine.

During this past week I have focused on early morning interval cardio routines. I grab the BOB stroller, place Turner in and head for the brick paved roads and hills that seem to wind endlessly around the huge golf course behind the marina. I like to go between 8:30 and 9:00 am as that is usually when Turner will have a little morning snooze. When he doesn't feel like snoozing he loves to look at the palm trees and watch me as I sing for him, talk to him and count my exercise repetitions in English and Spanish. And the one time he did cried, all I had to do was give him some cuddles and hugs and he was happy again when I placed him in his stroller. Hey....I'll do almost anything to keep him happy and entertained while I get to exercise.

Jason and I have worked out a great little system where we trade off watching Turner as the other gets 45 - 60 minutes to do whatever exercise they would like. Jason is a passionate runner, so generally that is what he will choose. I am a Pilates girl and I like to do some late afternoon Pilates at my special "Pilates spot" (there will be a separate post on Pilates a bit later) while Jason plays with Turner or keeps an eye on him while he naps. I've also been going to a great yoga class in town (more about that later as well). So, in order to get in my cardio workout I needed to find a time and routine where I could take Turner.  I could run, but because the roads are hand-laid brick roads it can be a bit bumpy for Turner in his stroller, and I don't quite feel comfortable with that. So, I've been doing a great interval workout where I do the following:

1. Fast-pace walking
2. Two sets of 90 -100 lunges up a hill
3. Skipping along a path
4. Side shuffles down a road
5. 100 jumping jacks (different varieties)
6. Three sets of sprints up another hill
7. Three sets of push-ups and tricep dips

I'll perform 2 - 7 (higher intensity) for 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get my heart rate up and then I'll do some fast-pace walking (moderate intensity) in between. I am hoping to add some step ups, I just have not found a great spot yet, and some jump roping. I have the jump rope, I just need to bring it.

All in all the workout takes me about 45 minutes and this past week I was able to do it (or some version of it) 3 times.

This morning I met up with Jason as he was finishing his run, and he joined me for the sprints and the push-up/tricep dips.

 Lunging Hill


Skipping Lane


Jumping Jack Look-out 


Side Shuffle Road


Sprinting Street


Push-Up Rock 


Happy, sweaty mama and content baby

No comments:

Post a Comment